SUPERTUBOS, Peniche/Portugal (Sunday, October 6, 2013) – The world’s best surfers are currently converging on the sand-bottom barrels of Supertubos for the second and final stop of the ASP’s European leg, the Rip Curl Pro Portugal presented by Moche from October 9 – 20, 2013.
Stop No. 9 of 10 on the 2013 ASP World Championship Tour (WCT), the Rip Curl Pro Portugal will host the world’s best surfers as they battle for reqaulification for next season’s elite tour as well as this year’s world surfing crown.
The Surfers flying into Portugal, we have remaining five surfers still going for the 2013 ASP World Title: Mick Fanning (AUS), 32, Kelly Slater (USA), 41, Jordy Smith (ZAF), 25, Taj Burrow (AUS), 35, and Joel Parkinson (AUS), 32.
Only Mick can clinch the crown in Portugal.
If Mick wins the event:
– Kelly will need a 3rd or better to take the title decision to Hawaii.
– Jordy, Taj and Joel will be out of the race.
If Mick finishes Runner-Up in Portugal:
– Kelly will need a 9th or better to take the title decision to Hawaii.
– Jordy will need to win the event to take the title decision to Hawaii.
– Taj and Joel will be out of the race.
If Mick finishes 3rd in Portugal:
– Kelly will need a 9th or better to take the title decision to Hawaii
– Jordy, Taj and Joel will need to win the event to take the title decision to Hawaii.
If Mick finishes 5th or worse in Portugal:
– The ASP World Title decision will go to Hawaii as, even with a 25th in Portugal, Kelly can still win in Hawaii.
In addition to the hunt for the 2013 ASP World Title, the battle for requalification amongst the world’s elite is heating up as well. With two events remaining on this season’s calendar, the action promises to be dramatic and dynamic in Portugal.
The Rip Curl Pro Portugal will run from October 9 – 20, 2013 and will be webcast LIVE via www.live.ripcurl.com
are calling for a four-to-six foot (1.5 – 2 metre) swell to be on tap for the opening day of the window. Check out on facebook ALOHA SURF CLINICS with Nancy Emerson for daily reports.
Leave a Reply